Considered as one of the best diving spots in the Philippines, if not in the world. It is relatively easy to get to Apo Island Dumaguete. This article will guide you if you’re planning to do it yourself.
How to get to Apo Island Dumaguete
Getting to the Malatapay Wharf from Dumaguete City
2. Once you’re in the city, simply hail a pedicab (tricycle) to the Ceres Bus Terminal in Calindagan. The terminal is just right behind the Robinsons Place Dumaguete.
3. Get on the bus that goes to either Bayawan or Siaton route. The Bayawan route is usually airconditioned. Just simply ask the terminal dispatcher regarding the schedule.
4. Inform the bus conductor that you will get off at the Malatapay Market in Zamboanguita. The bus ride takes only around 30 minutes.
5. Walk straight to the wharf around which is about a 500-meter walk.
Renting your Boat to Apo Island
6. At the wharf, you can rent your private boat that already includes your round trip (if you’re planning to do a day trip). Prices range from PHP 3000.00 to PHP 8000.00 depending on the size of the boat. There are also public trips which can range from PHP 300 – PHP 600 per head per way.
7. Be sure to register the coast guard passenger manifest.
8. Pay entrance fee upon arrival on the island. Last check it was PHP 100.00.
Other Important Tips
Be sure to plan to go to Apo Island early if you’re planning to do a day trip as the boats are forbidden to travel in the dark due to strong currents.
Check with your hotel if you’re staying in Dumaguete as most hotels can arrange your trip which includes transfer to Malatapay.
If you’re planning to go scuba diving, we suggest booking with a local resort in either Dauin or Zamboanguita. These resorts have their own private boats.
Found this article useful? Share this with your friends.